Monday, July 21, 2008

Dr. Dobson comes around

Fox & Friends just broke the story, complete with a taped excerpt from Dobson himself, that he "never dreamed that I would hear myself saying this, but I just might" vote for McCain.

If I am remembering correctly, Dobson voted for a third-party candidate in 1996 because Bob Dole wasn't true blue enough for him. So, this decision to give McCain some reconsideration either means that 1) Dobson feels McCain is moving to the right or that 2) Dobson is so scared of Obama that he feels he has no choice but to support McCain in order to thwart Obama's election.

I think #2 is probably closer to the truth.

I like to think of myself as an open-minded conservative, which will probably come as news to some. :) I know that it is not considered the most chic or modern to admire Jim Dobson in political circles today, but nonetheless, my respect for Dobson is significant. I know he is viewed as over-the-top right wing, even by many Republicans, for his advocacy of socially conservative causes.

Dobson was reared with much of the same value system that I was which includes an unquestioning adherence to the principle of the sanctity of life, which he applies to the issue of abortion on demand. He also, as you would expect from the founder of an organization like Focus on the Family, is highly worried about decadence in the culture.

Both of these heartfelt concerns have led him to make some imprudent comments at times, and some of the statements he made in the early part of the Republican primary this time around are examples of this (i.e., that he could never support McCain under any circumstances, a position which from which he now finds himself having to back away). Sometimes, though, a man of integrity has to reevaluate previously stated positions in light of new developments, and Dobson may be doing that right now.

I wonder if Alan Colmes will accuse him of flip-flopping next time Dobson is on H & C. That is Colmes' M.O. for McCain lately, to defuse the charges of Obama pandering.

No comments: