Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mike Huckabee speech in progress

I may very well blog in short bursts tonight; we'll see how it goes.

I have not always had kind words for Governor Huckabee, but I do like him. He is in rare form tonight, giving the best speech I've ever heard him deliver. The last line? "Sarah Palin got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, than Joe Biden got running for President of the United States!" Huckabee's story, of any of the Republicans who could be said to have made a worthy run for the nomination, comes the closest to a rags-to-riches story, and he is using it to maximum effect tonight to tell why he is a Republican. Stirring stuff! He is young enough that he still has a future in the party, even if McCain wins. I would not be surprised to see him in some sort of position in a McCain administration, maybe Director of Faith Based Initiatives?

Mitt Romney did well tonight, but Huckabee is working the crowd better than Mitt did. Romney had a lot of good lines, but he tended to deliver a line or two, then stand back and wait for the applause. I thought he did better in a debate setting.

No comments: