Saturday, September 20, 2008

My brother meets the Princess


Sarah signing Keith's hat.

Sarah and Todd on the receiving line of the Alaska Air Guard delegation.


Keith sporting his hat that's suddenly worth a lot more than he paid for it.

Look at Keith's expression, mouth virtually agape!

Yeah, I know; these are out of order, but this is Sarah, having just stepped out of her SUV.



Sarah, Todd and the Alaska Air Guard gang...




Above: Waving a final farewell..
Below: Sarah reaches for Keith's hand..


Keith in front of McCain/Palin plane.


A week ago tonight, my brother Keith got the chance to meet Sarah Palin "up close and personal" for a few minutes. I have asked him to tell us in his own words how it all transpired. I think he does a fine job of giving us an on-the-spot account of the excitement involved. Forthwith, here is his account:


Reno, Nevada, Sept. 13, 2008-- I was in Reno for the second time in as many years. I came as a volunteer with the Alaska Air Guard to work the National Championship Air Races at Stead Field. Saturday afternoon found us caught up in the heat of the high desert, fast, loud airplanes, and thousands of people enjoying the spectacle of the Reno Air Races. Could life in this world get much better?

During our morning briefing, our fearless commander informed our particular group of a couple dozen that Sarah Palin was to be in Carson City doing a campaign rally. She had issued an invitation to the Alaska Air Guard contingency that was at the Reno Air Races to come down and join her. However, wanting to remain politically neutral at such an event, the brass had declined the invitation, agreeing only to pass the word on down the line to such as would be inclined to take things into their own hands, and go out to see the classy lady. We were told that if we wished to see her, we would have an opportunity that evening in Reno, when she would, at the conclusion of the rally, be coming to Reno-Tahoe Airport to board her flight back to Alaska. We were told to expect to be part of a crowd of several hundred people who would possibly attend a “small rally” in Reno, and possibly have the opportunity to watch her board her plane. However, the Air Guard would provide no transportation, and would not support or endorse any proceeding in that direction…officially. If we were to go, we were requested to wear only civilian attire, and do our best to conduct ourselves professionally, and non-confrontationally.

As a proud Alaskan, who helped elect her to the governorship, and one who has been watching with pride as the rest of the nation enjoys our taste, I considered my options for all of … at least … 2 seconds! I turned to the person next to me and said, “Hey, if we have to buy a car to get to downtown Reno and see Sarah, I guess we better start shopping. I’m clearly going!” There were about a dozen of us in agreement. We would go.

Saturday evening found the dozen of us sitting in the Mercury Air Service FBO (private terminal) at Reno Tahoe Airport. A full moon was hanging low in the eastern sky, and the normally busy terminal had a tired, end-of-the-week lull about it. In fact, there was only one plane out on the ramp; a sleek, new Embraer 190 (which I initially mistook for a 737 with REALLY tall wingletsJ) with a modest blue and white color scheme, and McCain Palin painted boldly on the fuselage. Half of our group had arrived a bit earlier than we had been told to arrive at the “rally”, and were disturbed by the fact that NO ONE was around. Had it been cancelled? Was Palin already gone? Were we at the wrong place? Hard to argue with the presence of the McCain Palin jet sitting out on the ramp!

We settled in to wait the half hour or so until we were SUPPOSED to be there, and some of us ordered chips and salsa in the restaurant lounge we were seated in. About 15 minutes before we were expecting any action, a sergeant in our group received a call from an aide in the Palin campaign. She said she had been given his number as a contact number, and was calling to inform us that the rally was going on longer than expected, but Sarah would be leaving Carson City “in the next 30 minutes or so.”

Oh, well, we were a dedicated bunch, and we settled in to wait until midnight, if necessary. We would be here until the end, even if we were rewarded with nothing but a nod and a smile as the great lady boarded her jet some 100 yards out across the tarmac!

Not 45 minutes later, the same aide called us back to inform us that she would be there in a minute or so, and wanted us ready to meet her! We began to buzz with excitement, looking at each other, and looking around at the empty terminal. “We’re the ONLY ONES HERE! We’re about to have a PRIVATE meet-and-greet with OUR lady Palin!!! They set us up! There’s no rally…WE’RE IT!!!!!”

We were rushing around, the ladies in our group into the restroom to freshen up and the rest of us, in general, trying to make sure we were ready to meet (IN PERSON) America’s very own new princess! I carefully adjusted my new Australian suede hat (which I had purchased that afternoon at the air show) and in general, felt about as excited as a sixteen-year-old boy about to (MAYBE?) get his first brush with true love on date night!

Moments later, a harried aide rushed in the front door, looked around at our motley group, and queried, “Are you guys the Alaska Air Guard group?” We shyly nodded affirmation, and she hurriedly motioned for us to follow her on out to the ramp. We didn’t hesitate to question why; rather, we just followed.

We were told to form up, look good, and do nothing funny as we stood at the foot of the air stairs to her plane. A suit appeared from somewhere and informed us that Sarah would be here in a few seconds, and this was no time to “…show her your pocket knife, or do anything cute. She’ll take a few moments to greet each of you, and there will be opportunity for pictures. Please be respectful and professional. Thank you for coming out to meet her!” I thought about informing him that I had condescended to being here for her to meet ME, … but … in comedy, timing is everything…

A Reno police cruiser slowly circled the airplane as we stood and waited, and then across the ramp, a gate opened, and a motorcade of half a dozen dark Suburbans, several Crown Vics with flashing lights, and a couple buses, came gliding in across the ramp. We were humming with excitement, trying to “quietly and professionally” whisper to each other, “Where is she? Is she in the bus? Does she ride in her own Suburban? Does she see us yet?...” The second Suburban slowly pulled up about ten feet away from me (# 3 in the receiving line) and stopped. As it stopped, and the other vehicles all pulled into formation behind and beside it, I looked in the rear, right window, and there was Sarah smiling back … RIGHT AT ME! I was almost oblivious to the tall dark suits that began to appear from all the other SUVs and circle in around us. One opened her door, and she gracefully slid out, jumped to her feet and began clapping her hands as she looked up our line of jubilant Alaskans. “ALASKA!” She squealed with delight. “I’m feel like I’m already home!” (I think in my DVD audio, I’m to be heard whooping with excitement at that point!)

She made her way slowly up the line, greeting us each one personally. When she came to me, she looked into my eyes, thanked me for coming out to meet her, and thanked me for what I do for Alaska, our home state! I was officially star-struck. I worked my mouth, and some sound came out as I tried to think of an intelligent, witty response but I think the only thing I managed to say was, “We love you, Sarah!” Her husband, Todd, was right behind her, and I couldn’t think of anything profound to share with him either, so I just shook his hand and grinned. The only thought rushing through my head at the moment was, “They’re such little people in person! I’M even taller than Todd!” Yeah, I know! Deep, huh?

After greeting us all, she came back down to the center of the line to be photographed with us, and one of our guys asked if she would autograph his Alaska flag. An aide rushed in, advising Mrs. Palin that in may not be a great idea to do so, and I suddenly realized my chance. I doffed my hat, and humbly implored her, “Please, while your pen is out… would you?...” She took my hat, hesitated for a moment to comment, “That’s a NICE hat!” As I watched her write, my only thought was, “Yeah! It’s getting a lot nicer!” Of course, the least I could do to thank her was offer a quick hug as she finished.

Sarah and Todd boarded their plane, headed back to Alaska, and as we left the Airport terminal, we all began burning up our cell phones with calls. Some began emailing pictures, I called my wife to tell her I had seconds earlier given Sarah Palin a warm hug, and then began trying to call the author of this blog, my brother. For some reason, (I have to suspect an extreme case of jealousy) it was sometime before he was able to return my call!
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, for Glen, house and wife are the only items mentioned in the 10th commandment, as there was definitely some coveting of his brother's governor going on.
What an experience!

Faith said...

Too awesome!!! Glad Keith got to meet Sarah, got photos, and glad you weren't too jealous to post them and his account. So fun to read his words. I'm grinnin'!! :)