Friday, November 14, 2008

Grief and loss

Last Friday night, November 7, what began as an evening of fun and celebration for so many of us culminated in tragedy and unspeakable sorrow. About 10 of us couples from our "New Directions" class at First Nazarene had gathered at Konny & Stan Zurcher's house for our annual fall picnic. I had wondered if I should even go because I had been sick from a horrific virus (intermittent fever and chills, chest congestion and cough) for the previous 4 days, but felt that I was on the downside of it, so decided to make the trek. Lots of good food, a roaring bonfire, story swapping, hugs and laughter all around...

Then, at about 9:30 p.m., as Konny was showing Pam and I around her home, Pam's cell rang. We were upstairs and I knew I couldn't get to it, so I yelled down and asked Lyndsi Smith to grab it and see who it was. Lyndsi read the caller ID and told me it was Pam's Mom; I figured Mom was calling to discuss next week's trip out to see us that she and Dad were planning to make. I bantered back and forth with Lyndsi in the innocence of the moment about how my cell showed "Mom and Dad" when my parents called, but "Satterfields" when the in-laws did, and Pam's vice versa; Lyndsi said she and Brent's cells showed similar readouts with their respective parents. (I wonder, are we always so blissfully unaware of the sands running out of the hourglass?)

About a minute later, my cell rang and I saw it was Mom. Alarm bells started way in the back of my mind, on a very subconscious level as I answered the call that would change our lives forever.

Mom's voice was quiet, but so panicked, as she said she didn't know who to call, but....Dad had collapsed after playing basketball. He was unresponsive and they had done CPR on him for some time now. My mind quit working as I groped for words. Was he going to be alright? Mom didn't know. Where were they now? On their way to the hospital. I do remember Mom asking me, with tears choking her voice, what we were going to do. I was in shock, possibly for the first time in my life. I don't remember how I concluded the phone call, but I had to walk out into the living room and break this news to my wife and those gathered around. Konny led in prayer for Dad's recovery and we began to call different people asking them to pray. I know I called my parents, Pastor David (I talked to Janet) and my friend Jed Hutchison.

Then Pam's phone rang. She answered it, spoke briefly, then wordlessly handed it to me with tears streaming down her face. I knew what it conveyed even before I answered and heard Pam's Mom whisper, "Glen, he's gone."

What numbing, crushing, incomprehensible grief! The sobs and groans came from deep within, from an untapped reservoir of pain over the unimaginable loss of a man I had loved as if he were my blood father, one that I had looked up to more than he ever knew. The thoughts surged through my brain: Did he know I loved him so? Was he aware of all the reasons I admired him? Why couldn't we all have had 30 or 40 more years together?

I pounded the walls with my fist as the emotion coursed through me, not caring who saw or heard. I somehow concluded the conversation with Mom, if you could call it finishing; I remember saying that I should be strong for her, but knowing I couldn't be right then. I somehow made it out to the living room, where the remaining guests, now somber and grave, were gathered. Stan and Konny seem to continually be present during the trials in our lives and it was an unfathomable comfort to be with them when this news was broken.

I will never forget asking God "WHY!" and crying out from the depths of my sorrow that I didn't want to be angry with God. Was I really angry with God? I don't know. I know I had never hurt like this before. I have, however, come away with this awareness since those moments: I am profoundly grateful for a compassionate Savior who DOES NOT WALK AWAY when we're at our weakest. When we scream out in our anguish and question His infinite wisdom, Jesus doesn't shrug and say, "I don't have to put up with this; I am God, after all." My friend, Katie Metz, says she likes to think that God knows that our feeble protests against the exercise of His will are just code for "I need you NOW, Jesus, more than I ever have." I believe she is right.

We somehow drove home, where my parents were waiting for us. I will always appreciate their help getting our house organized as we tried to throw belongings enough together for a stay two states away of undetermined length.

We finally pulled out of our driveway around 2:30 AM on Saturday morning, November 8. We drove through the night and morning and arrived in Indiana, PA around noon. What a lonesome feeling to drive up to the parsonage and know that that cheery face would never walk out the door to meet us again. Mom came out and burst into tears as I hugged her. Oh, what loss.

It all seemed so surreal. The family was all here, but the man at the center of it all was not.

We had a memorial service just for the church people the next morning, the only service of the day.

On Monday, November 10, the viewing lasted from 2-9. I said over and over that I hoped he knew how much he was loved as hundreds filed by the open casket. My brother and his wife and little girl drove 380 miles to be with us, from their home in Greenbush, VA. My parents and sisters also drove out from Indiana that day, then turned around and drove home. I will never forget it.

We have also received phone calls, e-mails and Facebook condolences from across the country. The support meant so much. (If there was anything I could be said to have "enjoyed" from this week of suffering, it was meeting some of the friends I have heard Mom and Dad speak of for so many years. Some of them read this blog!)

Dad's funeral was held on Tuesday, November 11, a very memorable ceremony, with a number of his preacher friends officiating with stories, Scripture, encouragement, tears and laughter. We buried him on the hillside cemetery in Cherry Tree, PA on a gray, bleak afternoon. Yet, we didn't leave HIM there, only the "earthly tent" that he left behind. Dad is in Heaven rejoicing with the one He served, although we mourn his loss and still shed our tears. One day, we will see him again, never again to be separated. In the meantime, we continue on, serving the One who gave Dad life and brought him safely Home.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen,
I sat and cried as I read your blog, reliving that night for all of you. Life will never be the same for your family and I'm so sorry for that. Somehow, through it all we must remember "God is so good"! Seems so hard to say when we're going through the sorrow of lossing one so dear. My heart aches and breaks for all of you.

Love and prayers to all of you.
Diane and Gary Warinner

Anonymous said...

Glen and Pam,

So sorry for your loss. Glen, thank you for being so open and honest about your feelings. I was reminded of my grandfather's death over 20 years ago as I read your reactions and comments, though losing a father is much worse than losing a grandfather--if for no other reason than we are too young to maybe grasp it all.

May God bless you and help you through this time.

Melissa Manners

Melanie C. said...

Beautiful, Glen. Love you guys and are praying for you...

Dorothy Bowen Klass said...

Ray was a dear and wonderful friend whom I met my first year of College. We worked in the GBS bookstore together and I always admired and respected him. Please tell Melody how sorry I am for this sudden and difficult loss and that I am keeping her in my prayers.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing all the details, Glen. I'd heard of his passing, but still had lots of questions. I thought they lived in IN....didn't realize it was IN, PA. Anyway, it's evident you loved your f-i-l very much. And I must tell you, I lost my m-i-l about 3 years ago, and I still miss her SO much. I've always wondered why is it that if you really love your in-laws, they die. I've seen cases in my family where there was always tension between the in-laws and they lived till their 90's. Weird. And I think God understands when we ask why....I have many a time. But realized it was just a way to vocalize the deep hurt, rather than feeling a negative emotion towards God. Anyway, we have been thinking of and praying for you all. It's such a tragic loss. Please let Pam know we feel for her!

Anonymous said...

Glen,
I read your moving tribute to your dear father-in-law through tears. His absence will be keenly felt. Merrilee and I had the utmost respect for him, and pray for all of you at this time. We are looking forward to seeing him again. Lean hard on God...His strength is made perfect in weakness.

Re 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Brant & Merrilee Luther

Anonymous said...

Glen,
I don't know when we can stop grieving over this loss. It has touched our lives, our conference, the Bible college ... just too many areas to mention. He left a legacy behind and shoes that cannot soon be filled. We love you all and continue to have you in our thoughts.

John and Shirley Dye

Anonymous said...

Glen and Pam,

I cried as I read your blog and felt your pain. Just wanted to let you know, you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Love to all of you!

Melinda, Dale, Krista and Kyler Mattern

Anonymous said...

Our hearts are aching for you and the family. We could see Jesus in Bro. Satterfield! He will be greatly missed! Praying that God will carry you through this time and strengthen you all through this terribly dark, painful valley. Take care. Jim and Gina Pinkerton

karen said...

Glen, Pam and girls,

So sorry you have to go through this. It is hard to let go of a father, father-in-law and grandpa who models Jesus!

I remember the sadness when my father-in-law was killed in a tragic automobile accident. Our children were 4 and 1 1/2 when
they lost their grandpa. Although I was very sad and knew I would miss Elmer much--my greatest sadness was the reality that our children would likely not remember him.

In the years that have passed I realized that the values that Elmer believed in-- he passed on to his children and they are teaching others the "Jesus values." His legacy will go on--not in the way we would have designed--we would have loved many more years with him. One who is loved much is missed much!

May you be encouraged and sense God's presence in this difficult time. "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" Psalm 34:18

Anonymous said...

I too cried as I read your blog. I stumbled upon your blog via someone else. I believe you may have went to A.W.C the same time my brothe Tim went. Anyways, I am so sad to hear of the lose of your father-in-law. I wish words could help heal the pain you and your wife must be feeling but plase know that our hearts are with you. Darrell and Tammy (Groger) Wagler.

Anonymous said...

Dear Glen & Pam
Thank you for helpig me grieve. It had been so many years since I saw Ray. I cried through both of your blogs. I was amazed at our similarities although we've never met but share blood through past Satterfield generations. Thank you for letting me see what a wonderful servant Ray had become. He is now where we all are striving to go.
I also share your political pontification. I could go on and on once started.
Elaine can tell you who I am. Aunt Frances's daughter. Donna Davis, Las Vegas, NV

Beth Stetler said...

Ray Satterfield was a kind and good man, who will be deeply missed. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Steve and Beth Stetler