Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Final pre-election thoughts

It is 4:00 PM EST. I finally turned the TV on about 15 minutes ago, even though I know no real action will start for some time. I just couldn't stay away any longer. Who knows when it will be flicked off again? I will also be all over Drudge and Real Clear Politics all through the evening.

The quiet feeling that we are headed for a sizable Democrat win tonight has been building inside me for a couple of weeks now. I have not said anything about it up till now; I just haven't had the heart for it. Why depress those who still have to vote and possibly keep them ultimately from casting their ballots?

My biggest hope tonight is that we keep the Senate below a 60-seat margin. If Mitch McConnell loses in Kentucky, we are truly in deep trouble. I will also admit that I am closely watching the Minnesota race; if Norm Coleman goes down to the weasel, Franken, then you have to wonder about this country. (I am not into name-calling, but everyone has their limits! Franken stretches mine.) On the other hand, if Elizabeth Dole, for instance, and Gordon Smith or John Sununu can somehow hang on, then we are headed for a better night than I've expected.

John McCain and Sarah Palin have fought heroically in this race, especially over the course of the last two weeks. But, the headwinds are so strong this year with an unpopular President (largely due to the Iraq War), a charismatic and eloquent Democrat and finally, an economic crisis of major proportions.

Contrary to some, I do not believe the country is lost if the voting goes as I project that it will tonight. A President Obama still has to govern. And my guess is that no major policy shifts will be forthcoming for the first while, while the country struggles, perhaps for the next few years, to regain its economic footing. McCain argued until about 6 weeks ago that the fundamentals of our economy are sound. I would modify that to assert that the basic principles on which our Constitution was formed are still sound and they work remarkably well when applied with wisdom and honesty. I expect to be disappointed tonight, yes, but I also anticipate participation in the regrouping of a Constitutional movement in this country. More on that later; now to focus on the show at hand over the next few hours...

1 comment:

simpleman said...

I will agree with you that the conservatives as well as the Republicans are indeed heading for a disappointment today with the Presidential election. I am not particularly worried about the senate and a super majority there because I don't think it is likely. I also still believe that the fundamentals of the economy are strong I just think the the fundamentals of Washington in this area are weak with Chris Dodd and Barney Frank in control of regulating the financial markets. I also think that the election isn't over till every last vote is counted and since I don't believe in or trust polls anyway I will wait till tomorrow before I agree with today,s election results. great post my friend I look forward to more.