Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas music

Like everyone else, I will not be disappointed tomorrow when all the radio stations revert to their normally scheduled programming and we hear the latest from (fill in the blank with the coolest pop singer with whom I no longer can keep up!) piping through the Wal-mart sound system, rather than "Feliz Navidad" or Brenda Lee singing "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."

But I have to take strong exception with all of the modern-day musical Scrooges who continuously dump on Christmas music and opine on how "boring" or "commercialized" or "spent" or "noninnovative" it is. One blogger that I follow posts something every year about this subject.

I have never had a Christmas season where I have felt the real Reason for it all was more meaningful than it has been to me this year. One Christmas song that I have always liked has become a Top 5 favorite for me this season because of the picture it paints of what it meant for Jesus to leave the splendor of Heaven and come to be born into a world full of strife, political intrigue, suspicion, conspiracy and all other forms of SIN.

The song is called "Welcome to our World"; it was written by CCM singer/songwriter Chris Rice. Here is the verse that profoundly moves me every time:

Fragile finger sent to heal us,
Tender brow prepared for thorn,
Tiny heart whose blood will save us!
Unto us is born!

So wrap our injured flesh around you
Breathe our air and walk our sod,
Rob our sin and make us holy,
Perfect Son of God!
Welcome to our world!

Having seen both disability and death up close this year, I am amazed that Jesus felt it was worth it to come into this world. I do not understand it. But I am so glad that He did!

On Christmas Day, I open my heart once again to receive His warm and healing presence into my life. I hope and pray you do the same.

Joy to the world; the Lord is come!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: