Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Senator Kennedy diagnosed with cancerous brain tumor

I saw the news a few minutes after it came across the wire, at about 3:45 this afternoon.

Beyond the somewhat clinical AP new story, what is even more telling is the reactions in the subsequent 2 hours that I've seen. The commentators are all talking and swapping stories, most quite emotional and heartfelt. John McCain is blinking away tears in the clip I've seen from his campaign bus. Sen. Mitch McConnell issued a grave message of concern, with Senators Jon Kyl and others standing behind him in the Capitol Rotunda (I think). Chris Dodd's voice broke as he spoke to the press and 90-year-old Sen. Robert Byrd bowed his head at his Senate desk and sobbed.

A doctor consulted on CBS top-of-the-hour news roundup said that typically the prognosis for this type of tumor is measured in months rather than years. I have no idea as to the veracity of this assessment or lack thereof.

As Pat Buchanan opined, news like this "completely changes the political furniture with which we've populated our minds for the last 40 years."

I know seeing Kennedy on the Senate floor was one of the most memorable moments of our visit there when Pam and I stopped by during our 2001 Washington trip, so I will personally vouch for what Buchanan is saying.

I think we all wish Ted Kennedy the best at this time and that our hearts go out to his family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know it'll only be days until we hear about some over-zealous pastor saying this is "God's Judgment". Thus letting the American people forget about Wright and move onto the real enemy: Christians.

On another note: I think Dobson has missed a real moment here. Imagine if he would have opened his program with a prayer for Kennedy's health. Imagine the bridges that would have been built in the midst of this California Fiasco.