Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor

MSNBC's "Morning Joe" (the only show I watch on that network) just reported that Sonia Sotomayor is President Obama's choice to replace David Souter. As I said on the day that Souter announced his departure, this pick will be a wash. The only caveat to that is that Sotomayor, according to what I am hearing, may be even more liberal than Souter. I know nothing about her except that she is Hispanic, is a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and turns 55 next month, so will probably be on the court for 20-30 years.

The more interesting aspect of this pick is whether or not it will elicit a filibuster, so it will be telling as we observe the give and take of the reaction throughout the day from Republicans and more moderate Democrats. On Fox News Sunday a couple of days ago, both Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Arizona and Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska, uttered the dread "F" word, both stating they hoped it wouldn't be necessary. This surprised me, coming from Nelson; the very fact that he mentioned it indicates he is open to the possibility.

President Obama wants hearings in July and will probably get them if Sotomayor is not filibustered. I'll be glued to C-Span.

5 comments:

danny said...

I was rather surprised at this pick, I feel she may be moderate, a fair judge. All you pro-lifers my be a bit stymied, then again she is Catholic. I think there are many things to consider.

I feel He (Obama) could have done much worse,lets face it any choice is in. Sure the media will try and make the best story, the party on the out side will chatter as they must. Right now the republicans can't find their way across the street, let alone find direction for a filibuster.

I think a moderate such as myself may be able to live with this pick.

Glen Asbury said...

Danny Bryant!!! You've thrown down now...how is Sotomayor moderate in any way?

The words from her own mouth, as well as her own activism from the bench, cut to the heart of the judicial activism that is tearing America apart. She says that she feels that as a Hispanic woman, she will be able to empathize better than a white male??? This is PRECISELY what a judge is not supposed to do: empathize. A judge does not make law; they are merely to enforce it, a crucial distinction that is lost on Sotomayor.

Because of Sotomayor's edicts, applicants for the fire department in a Connecticut town were denied because they were WHITE, even though their test scores were much higher than those of the minority applicants to the same positions. I would not call Sotomayor a reverse racist, but the outcome of her bias is reverse racism.

See you tomorrow when we talk about Constitutional ideals!!! Until then, my friend...

danny said...

Glen Glen Glen
The media is sort of like a preacher giving a sermon on 1 verse of the Bible, out of context in can be made to look like anything. To make a good story they are going to focus on what stirs you up. As a white male, I know a lot of white males that are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. I feel upon further study time will prove her a fair judge.

Good luck with the Girls this week end.

Anonymous said...

Guess what? I'm your 2000th hit. I'm special!

Anonymous said...

Danny, you crack me up. "All you pro-lifers..." ---Like you're not one.

I have to leave a smiley face so I can drive Glen crazy.

:)