Monday, April 14, 2008

Alaska

We touched down in Anchorage at Ted Stevens International Airport at around 2:45 PM AST this last Friday, April 11. Yes, Alaska even has its own time zone, something I learned mere moments ago. The slogan around here is that "Everything is bigger in Alaska" and so far, I've seen nothing to disprove that bit of boasting. They even offer a version of the Big Mac at local McDonalds outlets that uses Quarter Pounder patties instead of the standard thin beef pieces, and they have dubbed the result the McKinley Mac. I have yet to sample one.

It is beautiful here, from any perspective: rugged, pristine, aesthetically astounding. I have never seen anything quite like it, even in the Pacific Northwest, which is certainly gorgeous in its own right. Yesterday afternoon, we drove about 30 miles out to Hatcher Pass, where fresh snow had fallen and was continuing to descend. Mountains all around, moose here and there, warning signs to be alert for bear, a group of snowmobiles every few miles....but SO QUIET and STILL. Had it been a clear day, I can't imagine what the view would have been, but it was enjoyable in a different way. A river arced down through the pass, mostly still covered with ice and snow, but thawed a bit in places. WOW.

The chorus rings true:

"Indescribable! Uncontainable! You placed the stars in the sky and you know them by name!
You are amazing, God!
All powerful! Untameable! Awestruck, we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim,
You are amazing, God! INDESCRIBABLE!"

Carli and Livy are having fun playing with their cousins whom they haven't seen in 2 years. I am doing a lot of reading (Grisham's new legal thriller The Appeal)and sleeping and chatting. And hopefully, blogging over the next 2 weeks!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hope to see some pictures posted of that beautiful scenery! Or will I need to go to Pam's blog? My cousin Jon and his wife have been to Alaska and REALLY enjoy the scenery. Maybe one of these days....
En;joy the Grisham book. Chris and I just finished it. It's hard to lay down!

Faith said...

Hey, say hello to Keith for me! I'm hoping someone takes pictures of him and his family to post or email (yes, that was a hint!).

I was moving some things around last night getting ready for company... pulled out a box of little photo albums from Taiwan. One of the first things I always think about when I think of Keith was his little village he painstakingly created from paper... right down to the clothes on the clothesline. What patience and persistence! What a grin when he finished it!

Hope you have an awesome visit together!