Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tony Snow, CNN pundit

OK, I'm officially surprised by this. Didn't see it coming.

Snow is a very compelling speaker; he gave the closing address at CPAC this year, and had the crowd going crazy. More to the point for his new role, though, he made Fox News Sunday the compelling program it still is today.

I didn't know, though, that Snow used to be a substitute co-host for "Crossfire", a shoutfest which I always found highly entertaining.

I guess for the last couple of ratings periods, CNN has beat Fox in the 25-54 demographic. Certainly not with my help. Larry King LIVE is the only CNN show I find interesting, and I probably catch the full hour once every 2 weeks, if that often.

This is savvy of CNN, though, I must say. I've seen Kellyanne Conway on Larry King LIVE a lot lately, as well as Ari Fleischer, another ex-Bush 43 Press Secretary. Perhaps they are hoping to get past the era where they were known very unaffectionately as the Clinton News Network?

Back to Tony Snow: he came to Logansport (about 1/2 hour northeast of us) to do a campaign event for Congressman Chris Chocola a few days before Election Day '06. After his 20-minute speech was over, we lined up to shake his hand. When we got there, Carli went into her normal introductions of "I'm Carli, and this is Olivia, etc., etc." Tony endeared himself to us all by remarking on what "poise" Carli had. All in all, a memorable day, though ultimately Chocola was pretty badly beaten.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I hope you got pics taken with him!

Tony Snow is a great American, and seeing him stand up successfully to Helen Thomas makes me think he can successfully enter the lions den and do just fine (Although even the great Tony Snow's moment paled in comparison to Dana Perino's Helen Thomas incident).

This must be how liberals feel about Colmes.

Unknown said...

CNN seems to be trying harder to get some conservative viewers back. They now have Glen Beck and Tony Snow, plus some others here and there.

Glen Asbury said...

Jed, unfortunately, we were cameraless that day....so no pics were taken of the auspicious moment.

Ben, great point about CNN and Glenn Beck. I do watch that show quite a bit; I guess I distinguish between Headline News and CNN more than I should since they are all the same organization.