Monday, April 21, 2008

Santorum endorses McCain

I was wondering the other day when or if ever this might be coming....and here it is.

For my two cents' worth, this is the real money paragraph:

Many conservatives have given McCain poor marks for his involvement in the Gang of 14. I was in leadership pushing hard for a showdown with the Democrats on using the "Constitutional Option" to end their filibuster of judicial nominations. The Gang of 14 broke the impasse, and it probably was for the best. I was the one counting votes on that issue, and I was much less certain of success than others. In the end, the Gang deal resulted in numerous confirmations of qualified conservative jurists. (emphasis mine)

The Gang of 14 compromise infuriated so many conservatives when it was announced back in May 2005, including me. It was part of the rallying cry against McCain's nomination earlier this year, led by radio hosts Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham and Hugh Hewitt, among others, as media mouthpieces.

Were McCain and Lindsey Graham right in taking the long view on this one though, especially in light of the Senate's reversion to Democrat control in 2006? Santorum seems to be saying this without quite saying it, which is understandable, since he was on the losing end of the 2006 election struggle, a fact which probably is still a bitter pill to swallow for him.

I love Rick Santorum, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Millions will read this piece before it's all said and done, and it took some real courage and grace for him to write it. I think it is one more indication that conservatives are lining up behind John McCain, heading toward a very possible victory in November.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, It was interesting to hear Mr. Santorum talking McCain on KDKA this morning. Now, do you have a comment on Indiana's Governor Daniels statement that it was “time to let Ronald Reagan go.”??

Unknown said...

Rick did what a true, conservative patriot had to do...he made a decision to endorse the best possible candidate. One thing is clear, Rick and John McCain have many differences and they always well. Rick is looking at the big picture...McCain or Clinton; McCain or Obama. The possibility of either Clinton or Obama moving to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is enough to maybe even scare the devil himself.

Let me be honest...McCain wasn't my top choice of the Republican primary candidates...not even in the top 3. But now that he won fairly, McCain is my man because I sure cannot sit back and let the Democrats walk into the White House without a fight.

The longer we can help the Democrats to keep fighting (hopefully clear to Denver) McCain has a much better chance of winning. So...let's join with Limbaugh and keep up "Operation Chaos"!!! I was part of the army here in Ohio and it worked!!!

Glen Asbury said...

I actually have considered crossing over in our primary on May 6 since my Presidential (McCain), gubernatorial (Daniels) and Congressional (Dan Burton) candidates are all shoo-ins.

Ultimately, though, I also have to vote for state senator, state rep, etc., so I will remain in the GOP camp on Primary Day....but it is tempting! :)