Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thoughts on Obama speech, Part III

I wonder if we will see any rapturous looks of adoration in the crowds to which John and Cindy McCain will speak next week? Just a thought....I can't remember when I've seen more joyful tears or rhapsodically delightful gazes than from these Democrat ladies. But then again, these are the diehards or they wouldn't be in Denver, I suppose.

Now, he has promised everyone that we will make sure you can afford a college education if you commit to serving your community or country. How do you define "serving?"

"We cannot meet 21st century challenges with a 20th century bureaucracy." If Obama gets elected, we Republicans need to hold his feet to the fire on this one! He has promised to go through the budget line by line and weed out what isn't needed. Somehow, though, I have a sneaking feeling he'll find a need for almost all of them.

I just saw a flash of the old Obama that intrigued me at the beginning (though I never considered voting for him!) He talked briefly about getting past the bitterness and rancor of questioning each other's character when we disagree. We do need to do this, but it is difficult when Obama has the questionable associations from the past that he does and when his operation is playing the same tricks as previous Democrat campaigns have done, distorting McCain's remarks about being in Iraq for 100 years and his joke about only qualifying as rich if you make $5 million or more a year.

Now that the Martin Luther King, Jr. comparisons have been drawn, the speech is over.

It was a good speech, though it probably doesn't sound like I thought so, if you read all of my previous comments. But, I have to admit it when I see efficacy in any forum even if my heart doesn't beat as one with the sentiments that have been expressed.

If you had to ask me though, in this moment, whether the speech will do for him what he needs in order to pull way ahead and stay there, I would have to say no, I don't think so, especially with the Republican convention next week. And 4 weeks from today, this speech will be a distant memory.

I'm sure I will be back tomorrow, once McCain names his running mate.

No comments: